Tine 2.0 Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:57 am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm 
Tine 2.0 Community Contributor

Next proposal.

On the left side the selection pannel is used to select and filter
data which is displayed on the right side in a list view.
First you need to select the 'place' or many 'places' and
then you could apply one or many 'filters'. Then every filter is applied
to the selected 'places' and the results are merged and displayed on the right.

Under the selection pannel the search-field is placed - here it could be possible to
add more filters or search explicitly in selected places.

The currently loaded application can be switched by clicking on
the application title and selecting a new application.

The tabs on the top right side will display opened records refering
to the active/opened application. For example in the application 'Aufgaben/Tasks'
opened tasks will be listed as tabbed windows. In the application 'Adressen/Addresses'
the opened tabs will represent opened addresses.

The button-bar, holding the actions, will change depending on the active tab
or application. Additionally the functions 'copy, cut, paste, delete, edit', etc.
could be put into a 'global' actions button-group. Application- or record-specific
actions also could be put into a seperate button-group.

So it's still a concept, no details worked out.

What do you think?

Attachments:
tine20-2.mockup.png
tine20-2.mockup.png [ 144.79 KiB | Viewed 1179 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:27 pm 
Tine 2.0 Developer

What I really like about this last suggetsion is the clear concept of working from left to right. On the left hand side you define what you are looking for. On the right hand side you get the results. Filter and places (or containers) are nicely close together. Still missing is the "load filter" functionality.

What I am a bit sceptic about is the available place for the rather complex advanced filter-settings. I doubt we will be able to get them into the left column :(

Also, I would like to know what other users think about the suggestion from awieland, that we should use the browser-tabs instead of an own tabbing-system to have several states or applications of Tine 2.0 available? I think her argument is quite convincing and would save us a lot of space.

Further I would like to stress the point that Tine 2.0 is not optimized for first-time-users, but for productivity of regular users. Please keep this in mind, when thinking about the suggestions.

All in all, I have to say that I am very happy about the suggestions and the discussion going on. It is great to see so many users being so involved into the development. This feedback really important for us! Thanks to all and keep it on!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm 
Tine 2.0 Core Developer

Balazs wrote:
Also, I would like to know what other users think about the suggestion from awieland, that we should use the browser-tabs instead of an own tabbing-system to have several states or applications of Tine 2.0 available? I think her argument is quite convincing and would save us a lot of space.

I think that's not possible because of technical limitations. At least it would make the window handling much more complex.

But Conny will know it better.

Visit tine20.com for commercial support / consulting / development.
Visit tine20.net for Tine 2.0 hosting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:53 pm 

I wouldn't like that because I am someone who has at least 30 tabs in his browser.
If tine20 is in one tab I know where to look. If it would be spread in 4 tabs I'd spend more time finding the right tab than just clicking in the tine20-tab and start my search there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:44 pm 

Personally I also would like to handle Tine 2.0 and all it's applications
and data in a single tab, because this is also how all the other websites
and web-applications work; 1 website/application, 1 tab.

Spreading Tine 2.0 over several tabs won't be very straightforward.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:22 pm 

I agree with thasmo and schurb. Tine should only be in one browser tab.
Therefore I like thasmos last suggestion.

@Björn
In thasmos last mockup is a lot space reserved to choose the application (shown in the mockup: Aufgaben). Maybe this space could be used to open an extjs-popup window where the advanced filter settings can be adjusted. This should suit well together because the advanced filter settings depend from the chosen application. What do you, and of course also all the others, think about that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 am 
Tine 2.0 Developer

phsc wrote:
@Björn
In thasmos last mockup is a lot space reserved to choose the application (shown in the mockup: Aufgaben). Maybe this space could be used to open an extjs-popup window where the advanced filter settings can be adjusted. This should suit well together because the advanced filter settings depend from the chosen application. What do you, and of course also all the others, think about that?

Do I get you right - you suggest to have the (advanced) filter available only in a pop-up and not directly on the screen? If that is so, I would disagree, because the filters need to be combined with the resulting-list. Users would not want to switch windows, open a drop-down or something similar to narrow down the results. Or do I get you wrong? Perhaps you can modify the suggestion from Thasmo a little to visualize your suggestion?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:23 pm 
Tine 2.0 Core Developer

Balazs wrote:

In a normal browser i think it would be possible, e.g. when a user holds the ctrl key when pressing an app, we could open the app in a new browser tab.
This way it would be an advanced feature and the user could decide wether he wants tabs or not.

But other platforms like prism/air don't have native tabs

cu
Cornelius

Visit http://www.tine20.com for commercial support / consulting / development.
Visit http://www.officespot20.com for Tine 2.0 hosting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 pm 

nelius wrote:
Balazs wrote:

In a normal browser i think it would be possible, e.g. when a user holds the ctrl key when pressing an app, we could open the app in a new browser tab.
This way it would be an advanced feature and the user could decide wether he wants tabs or not.

But other platforms like prism/air don't have native tabs

cu
Cornelius

That's a neat idea - optional opening tine apps in real browser tabs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:56 pm 
Tine 2.0 Developer

What do the others think? Use browsertabs for different Tine 2.0 states or use tabs inside Tine 2.0 that hold different states?

Jump to: